Friday, February 17, 2006

Success at work or relationships ... same key to both

I've learnt just one thing in the 2 years I've been working.

To be successful at work, you must impress the boss.
And to impress the boss you must deliver above expectations.

One may logically conclude that one will have to work hard/work smart/ be street smart (or whatever fancy term is going around now-a-days) to impress the boss.

But, it's not really that difficult.

Just remember to:
1. Lower Expectations:
You're whole life must be centred on Lowering Expectations! It's the most important thing one can ever do. Not only on the job. It's the key to sucess in almost every relationship, including marriage!

Your performance is purely a matter of how the Boss perceives your work to be. You may perform as well or as bad as everyone else, but he will perceive someone has done well, while someone else hasn't. All because he has different expectations from different people. So, if your Boss has high expectations from you, ... You, my friend are screwed! :) You're constantly gonna have to deliver better stuff than others ... and not expect any compliments ... coz' that kind of work has always been expected from you! And if you deliver 'average' stuff, the Boss will think you are getting complacent. And that's even worse!

So, always maintain a low profile. Do your work better than the average co-worker. But, don't do it spectacularly well at the beginning itself. If the Boss spots that, you'll be branded with overexpectation for the rest of your career. Keep the Boss happy by doing work better than others, and keep raising the bar gradually... that way, as the Boss raises his expectations, you too are able to raise your performance accordingly!

The same applies to relationships, including Marriage. Keep the expectations of the wife so low, that she is pleasantly surprised everytime you do something thoughtful. TIP. Do something thoughtful every other week ... or else you're in trouble... :) I often share a joke with close friends ... Love your wife a lot. Tell her that. Show her that through your actions. But still keep her expectations so low, that she's happy to even receive the stem of a rose from you on Valentine's Day ... lolz :)

2. Underpromise. Then Over-deliver:
You are asked to do something. You estimate it will take 1 week. Come up with complex calculations involving many variables and assumptions and tell your Boss, your optimistic estimate of 3 weeks. Make sure you come to the office before your Boss comes in and leave only after the Boss leaves. (Yes, make it a point to greet the Boss daily, and provide updates on how you are tackling unforseen difficulties ... and how you will ensure delivery on time...) Then deliver a superb product in 2 and a half weeks. Won't the Boss be impressed?

Similarly, on a weekend, tell your wife that you will repair that leaky faucet/mow the lawn/other jobs around the house next weekend (with a plausible excuse not to get to it today)... then do it today (drawing attention to the fact that you could've been out there saving the world, but are repairing that leaky faucet that pestered your wife, ... just because you Love Her so much ... aww ...) Won't this Boss be impressed too?

-----
All the above was just fun, guys ... it may have an element of truth that I wanted you to think about ... nothing else ... don't take me too seriously ...( i doubt you'll do) ... :)

41 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

damn..i gotta take point one into consideration too :) lol

6:26 AM  
Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

Interesting read ... nice tips .. will keep in mind for future.

:)

8:14 AM  
Blogger Roshomon said...

:)Good one!
Will try n keep them in mind!

9:09 AM  
Blogger : M : said...

uhm....i hated corporate life. bad for me of course because now i dunno where to go from here---but i suppose it was the boredom of meeting targets on time...then twiddlnig thumbs later on.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

hey Anup me bakk...thanks for ur msgs...:)

abt impressing my boss...hmm I really dun give a damn..lol...I do my work to my best of my ability...and he may like it or not...but I never try to impress him...Im just me anywhere I go - take me as I am ;-)

But yeah, as Cheesy said, great tips...


Keshi.

5:51 PM  
Blogger tulipspeaks said...

interesting tips.. and i think its gonna work..sounds logical to me..hmm...

=am000nie=

6:41 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

just noticed u have a NEW POST tag next to my name...what a beauty :)

Keshi.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Is this post written taking into consideration the Appraisal Season round the corner??

Coz I think Im gonna religiously following all you tips :)

Thanks...if I get a good raise...will share 1% of tht with you....done deal??

:)

1:39 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@Michelle
:)... glad i cld b of some use 2 ya!

@CT
Thanks! ... and do check out dilbertblog for more of such inane ideas!

@roshomon
:) ... thanks

@CA
I'm sure that U will be fine buddy ... it'll work out for u girl! Hang in there buddy!

@Elisa
Glad 2 know that! :) Yes, I guess I'm taking it one step at a time too ....

@Keshi
Welcome back! Welcome Back! :)
I admire ur self-confidence ... wish I had that!!!
& wrt "Take me as I am" ... lolz :)

@Amu
Thanks buddy! But, I still haven't suceeded in making u life, have i?

@Arz00n
It's a done deal, dude! :)
Thanks a lot!!! ;)

--
BTW, I wanna tell u all that I'm just too caught up with work to be a daily blogger :( for at least 2 months ... I'll be reduced to a weekend (warrior) blogger ... waah!!!
Love ya All! :)

5:57 AM  
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Ah but you forgot one... expect NOTHING and you will NEVER be disapointed (anything else will be a bonus)! hehehehe!

Happy belated Valtentine's Day to you too. Or as they say in Italy "Buon San Valentino"!
Cyn

11:26 AM  
Blogger : M : said...

oh i manage okay..but damn i hate corporate life!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol yeah...take me as I am...or just piss off :):)


Keshi.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Check ur Val Day post's comments section ;-)

Keshi.

3:56 PM  
Blogger PNA said...

Hey Anup .......

there are elements of truth in what u have said .....
ppl expect and athey look down on u or ignore when u have underperformed their expectations that is the rule of the world .....

but why the heck impress others .....nothing doing........
what i think is if we go on the impressive stream then we will be going on and on and on and on in tha path till it becomes a habit and i consider it a bad habit .......

let others be impressed with our work at what we have done why say or bother..........
if they haven't they lose something

bye and well written .......
Ash

7:56 PM  
Blogger Dalicia said...

i find that it's easier to please your boss than your own partner.

11:39 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@cynthia
Very very True! ... :)
Buon San Valentino!

@CA
me too ... me too ... just that I'm probably desentisized to it by now ...

@keshi
a major smile is playing on my lips right now ... :)
Don't know why ... lolz

@ash
Thanks a lot! ... and yes, i do agree with u to a certain extent ... the only reason I wanna impress is to get a faster and better raise ... :)

@elaine
i dunno bout this ... never had a serious enough relationship to try and impress ... But, ur comment has just lowered my expectations in my abilities to impress my future lady ... hehe :)

12:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle J Brohier said...

That's an interesting thought. But then again, I've always tried to tackle things the same way sometimes as well. Of course, it may not work for some, so I improvise.

Whatever it is, do what you think is best. But heheh... it's interesting how you referred to your future lady as the boss. Lol!!!

Take care and God bless!

1:29 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@CT
:) that's coz' I know she'll be the boss ... don't all wives boss over husbands? ... lolz ;)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Łóòň Ġãĺ said...

CT = cheesy termite

or

CT = cherry tiger

?

:P

10:28 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol Cheesy u ok?? Im trying to imagine what a Cherry Tiger looks like...

Keshi.

3:08 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@CT
does it matter? u r both sweet and lovely gals ... ;)

@keshi
lolz ... stop thinking of all that ... u can think of better things .... me for instance ... lolz .. ;)

9:05 PM  
Blogger Karen1776 said...

Hey Brother,
You must be working too hard. That Saturday of labor altered your conciousness.
Come back and blog us.
Karen

9:11 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

hahaha yep yep u r much better imagination than a cherry tiger...

~~Keshi closes her eyes and thinks of Anup...I see such a goodlooker...wow, I dun wanna get back to normal work now...

lol!

Keshi.

9:31 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@SK
I will ... on the weekend ... still too much to do in too little time! Thanks for the encouragement though, sis!

@Keshi
:) ... Hey Keshi, u r just too sweet ... are u a dream? ... are u my dream come true??? lolz ... :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Michelle J Brohier said...

^^;;; Why's everybody wondering what I look like based on my name? Cherry tiger is more than meets the eye. Lol! It's a long story... but I don't wanna spam the comments anymore just for that.

Take care and God bless! And that's for all of you! ^^

1:00 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

ooooops I just realised that there is a real blogger called Cherry Tiger..lol I thought that Cheesy came up with this name :) Sorry Tiger :):) but Im sure ur more than just a Cherry tiger ;-)

Am I a dream Anup? ahemm mebbe - hehe...a dream with a husky voice..lol!

Keshi.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

lower xpectations and underpromise then overdeliver...hmm...intelligent;-)

5:54 AM  
Blogger Tabula_Rasa said...

Enjoyed every bit of what u wrote...

11:06 AM  
Blogger Dalicia said...

anup: cherry tiger, sweet in the outside, but MAD in the inside.
very tasteful :) take a bite out of it...

12:47 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

elaine wut u tellig anup to bite on..lol!

Keshi.

4:20 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@CTiger
so when are u gonna blog on that long story? I'd love 2 know ... :)
.... and spam away in here ... no probs whatever ... that's what I do, anyway ;)

@keshi
when dreams come true, they become reality na? :) ... u r now a dream come true ... albeit without a husky voice anymore ;) lolz

@DEG
... been called a lot of stuff before ... and now I've been called intelligent too! Yaah! :)

@NW
thanks a lot ... :)
glad u enjoyed it!

@elaine
hmm ... lolz ... (a variety of thoughts whiz by in the head) ... hmm ... lolz :)

@keshi
(grins) .... (grins some more) :)

6:53 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I feel good..la la la la laa...;-)


Anup Im bored with ur boss now...new post plz :):)

Keshi.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Dalicia said...

keshi: telling him to bite on the forbidden CHERRY ...mmmMmmmmm Mmmm

10:30 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@Keshi
I'm so glad to see u so happy! :)
That's all I want to do ...

I'm bored with all this work too! Lunch breaks and coffee breaks are all I look forward to now ... but this too shall pass .. :)

@elaine
Naughty, naughty, girl ... but funny nonetheless ... :) lolz ...

Cherry's a good friend ... if she sees all this ... she'll probably freak out! :)

2:46 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol @forbidden cherry hahaha elaine!

Anup how abt take a couple of days off??

Keshi.

6:28 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

i would love a vacation...but i need to save my leave days coz' i've got exams in May and I'll need those leave days then ...

but, this weekend, my family and I are going to Lonavala (a hill-station retreat) ... so a bit of R&R is on the cards over the weekend ... but, for now, one more day of deadlines and heave workload begins ... :(

I'll talk to you soon Keshi ... love, hugs , kisses and best wishes 2 ya ... Anup :) lolz ..

7:59 PM  
Blogger Dalicia said...

anup, keshi asked the question..so, i must answer..careful what can come out from my mouth...*LOL*

i'll be away for 10days...take care of yourself. do your best, and butter up your boss..

10:39 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

10 days? ... vacation of some kind?

Anyways, will miss ya elaine!

Yes, I'll try 2 butter up da boss ... appraisal season's around da corner ;)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Anup those hugs kinda really reached me here...awww thanks n hugggggggggz to u too :)

and Im gonna miss Elaine :(

Keshi.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle J Brohier said...

Ha ha. I'm more then freaked out. I'm actually amused. Lol!!! Actually, Cherry doesn't come from the fruit. It's short for Cherry Blossom which means 'Sakura' in Japanese. So yeah, I was aiming more for the Japanese meaning.

And tiger? It's my favourite animal. ^^ Not because I was born in the year of the tiger as some people though I was. @_@

There, my little explanation of my name. ^^

5:55 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@keshi
only the hugs reached u? .. what about da love, best wishes ...? ;) lolz ...

@CT
cool ... guess this explanation would satisfy a few .... but knowing my buddies, I'm sure they'll hold on to their interpretation of ur name ... :)
lolz ... thanks for being a sport!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home