Saturday, February 11, 2006

I worked on a Saturday, boo hoo...

I'm too tired to make one of my 'real' posts ... (the well planned, well laid-out ones .... I know that none of them appear to be that way .... but I like to think that ... so, don't break that illusion... :)

I worked on Saturday! Oh the Horrors!

I had a report that was due 'the day before yesterday'... so, I had no choice to but do something I've avoided so far ... work ... on Saturdays.... So, I reached the office around 8.30 am (yes, I like to have an early start). There was not a soul there (except for a rather surprised security guard.... I think I woke him from a pleasant dream or something ..... he he :).

Anyways ... there was no coffee or tea ... so, I just had to make do with water ... I then put on my headphones, cranked up the volume, rolled up my sleeves, .... and sang along ... (look, I didn't have my morning cuppa ... so the sing-along was all I could do to get my senses out of their saturday slumber)

Soon enough I got cracking on my report... and found myself working at quite a remarkable pace ... I guess, not having phone calls to answer, email forwards to check out, coffee/tea breaks with colleagues, colleagues to pester, colleagues to pester u, ..... really improves productivity! ... and all this time I thought the scientists/researchers were wrong !

(BTW, coffee breaks are just to catch up on the latest gossip or do ur part in adding juicy stuff to the grapevine ... But, mostly you just get together with colleagues and bitch about .... just realized that colleagues may read this, so I'll not say who I bitch about .. he he .. ;)

After every two hours, I got up to stretch my legs ... and felt really bored .... I needed someone to talk to ... or just smile at ... sure, I could call someone up ... but, its not the same! ... So, I would get back to work ... thankfully, my music kept me sane ... otherwise the pin-drop silence in the office would have dragged down my spirits ... I'm just too used to having people around, phones ringing, people laughing, chatting, smiling ... even if I don't know anyone ... I feel like I belong! ... part of a clan ... Lesson learnt .... Man really is a social animal! :) ... at least I am! .... Solitude can be soothing only if its self-imposed ... and if there's a crowd to get away from ... perpetual solitude would be Hell!

Anyway, after a home-packed lunch was devoured, I went out of my room, and to my surprised relief, found another soul slaving away at his PC (yes, even he had his headphones on!) .... I realized just how much, misery loves company! :) ... I'm thinking - 'So, I'm not the only one with deadlines' ... I got back to work with renewed vigour ....

The next I came out of my room was late evening around 5.30 and found two more people around ... but, by now, finishing the report was the only thought in my head .... I didn't bother ... just goes to show ... that one can get used to loneliness if one knows there is someone out there ... if there's hope .... but what if u know there's no one out there... or if u mistakenly believe there's no one out there?

Report is finally done at 7.30 pm. Heave a contended sigh of relief ... still has to be edited .. proof-checked even ... but, I'm proud of this baby!

-----
So, I sacrificed this weekend at the altar of work ... what did u guys do?

13 Comments:

Blogger poison ivy said...

hi! just dropping by! :)

11:09 PM  
Blogger Karen1776 said...

Great thoughts, Anup. You're getting to be a habit.
I guess we really like the feeling of belonging. We're part of something. Separation being the ultimate Hell.
Christianity teaches that Hell is eternal separation from God. An eternity of hopelessness.Ceasing to exist would be better.
Boy, am I morbid, you were the one that had to work all day.
See ya,
Skittishkat

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was working too...but not for others...for myself :)

1:09 AM  
Blogger : M : said...

been there done that kiddo....

1:17 AM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

gud for u!!!...i just did some of my own work

10:08 AM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

On a saturday? Till 7:30? Wow! *pat yourself on the back*

9:04 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Ohhh no no no...
Dont work on weekends...
I hate working on weekends...though its not possibel for me these days as I travel back to Mumbai on Friday night itself ;)

Yeah...last weekend I was in Hyd...returning back today morning..had fun there :D

Afta reading this post of yours...I remmeber those hard working days of mine when I used to sincerely work on weekends ... now, Im trying ot find that guy in myself during weekdays :D

2:17 AM  
Blogger tulipspeaks said...

So, I sacrificed this weekend at the altar of work ... what did u guys do?

i slept like a baby after walking 20km on friday...

=am000nie=

3:41 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@ivy
Thanks for the song once again! :)

@SKat
:) I'll take that as a compliment .. :)

@Lady
... ah, but if u work for urself, u enjoy it ... and then it no longer is work .. eh? :)

@CAddict
... i kinda felt this would be coming from u .. :)

@DEG
Hey, u changed the address of ur blog! ... I was looking for it earlier and got an error ... so u r getting sentimental ... again .. :) ... welcome back to my world ... :)

@My ramblings
I did that at 7.30pm on Saturday itself .. lolz .. and know what? that report got me a pat on the back from my boss today! ... yaah! :) ... but, I know that a pat on the back is just a few inches from a kick to the rear .. so I'm still grounded .. lolz ..:)

@arzoon
glad u had fun, dude ... welcome back to good ol' Bombay ... every Friday!

@amu
... hehe ... no wonder ... just read ur post on that ... amazing, girl! :)

8:37 AM  
Blogger : M : said...

i am predictable now, huh? :(

8:53 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

not really! ... i never expected a :( from u, now did i? ... :)

just that i felt u would have already had the experience of working saturdays... with ur busy schedule and all ... that's all ...

8:57 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

definitely did not work ;) lol. instead, i was having a good time at sweetie`s hometown.

10:20 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@SFO
good for u! :) ... at least u had fun!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home