Saturday, March 11, 2006

Short(?) Story - Just Friends?.

Eliza: Where were you? You were to meet me here an hour ago!

Alvin: Sorry 'bout that buddy. Was at the Economics lecture.

Eliza: But you've not even opted for it!

Alvin: Actually, Mischa requested me to take notes. She had something to do.

Eliza: Ya. I'm sure she was out shopping, while you were taking notes ... while I was waiting for you like a fool!

Alvin: C'mon ... don't talk about her like that ... you know she's a good friend ...

Eliza: Who are you trying to fool with that load of crap?

Alvin: What do you mean?

Eliza: You are only fooling yourself if you think no one knows.

Alvin: Knows what?

Eliza: That you love her!

Alvin: Whatever gave you that idea?

Eliza: Lets see ... you treat her like she's some princess ... you ignore everyone else when she's around ... you keep going out of your way to try and make her happy ... and I'm really bugged by the way your face lights up everytime she smiles. You look like a pathetic love-struck moron ... you always gaze at her like a puppy adores his master ... If you had a tail, I'm sure it would start wagging as soon as you caught a whiff of her perfume!

Alvin: You're calling your best friend a dog!

Eliza: You didn't have the decency to call and tell me you're running late! ... and you claim to be my best friend! hmph! ... would you ever do this to Mischa???

Alvin: lol ... so, that's what's bugging you ... I'm really sorry ... C'mon lets have lunch ... I'm famished! .... you know that lecture was so boring ........

(During lunch ..... the conversation continues ... )

Eliza: So when are you going to tell her?

Alvin: What?

Eliza: That you love her?

Alvin: Can't we talk about something else? ...

Eliza: She obviously means much more to you than anyone else ... It's clear as daylight to everyone else ... coz' you're the worst actor I know! ... The way you behave when she's around ... the way you treat her ... the way you talk to her ... the way you listen to every word she speaks ... it all points to just one undeniable fact .... You are in love with Mischa!

Alvin: Of course I love her!

Eliza: See, I knew it all along ... You ..

Alvin: Hold on ... I love Mischa, just as I love you. Just as a friend. Nothing more. I love her. But I'm not in love with her.

Eliza: What's the difference?

Alvin: For me, 'being in love' has romantic connotations ... it throws up visions of dreamy-eyed lovers, holding hands and whispering sweet-nothings ... dreaming of eternity while the present slips away ... But, good old 'love' is ... something that's the base of every succesful relationship ... including friendship ...

Eliza: I don't agree. I know that the love parents have for their children is something rock-solid. But, I'm not sure how one can ever really classify what one feels towards anyone else ... I mean, there's attraction, infatuation, affection, even lust ... a combination of these can be easily rightly or wrongly interpreted as love. And you, my friend are saying that you know the difference between 'loving someone' and 'being in love with someone'! Impossible! You don't know what you're talking about ... you just want to continue living in denial ...

Alvin: Look, I never told you that I know the difference. I just said - "For me, it is ..." And what do you mean by 'living in denial'?

Eliza: That you're in love with Mischa and are too afraid to tell her and mess up the friendship ...

Alvin: You just don't understand that there is love in every true friendship, then!

Eliza: So, is there something like false frienships too?

Alvin: I said 'true friendships' because most of the people you call friends aren't really your friends ...

Eliza: Then what are they?

Alvin: Acquaintances.

Eliza: Hmm?

Alvin: Let me explain it this way. You're one of my closest friends... but, I don't consider Sandy or Vicky, or even Bret to be friends ... they are acquaintances ... Coz' though we hang out, share laughs, and freak out almost everyday, I don't really know them ... and they don't really know me ... Friendship takes time and patience, forgiveness and understanding, a lot of trust .... basically, friedship needs love ...

For partying and having fun, their company is fine, but, when it comes to the really important things in life, I only turn to my friends ... like you ... like Mischa ... For I can trust you completely with all my secrets ... I can count on you to just hear me out and not judge me ... I can count on you to criticize me or encourage me and even compliment me to my face ... no nonsense ... I like my acquaintances, but I love my friends ... do you get it now?

Eliza: I'm not totally convinced ... I still think you're only fooling yourself ... In fact, I'm sure Mischa also knows that you like her ... and she's just enjoying the attention and the affection ... after all, who doesn't want attention? ... who doesn't want to be loved?

But, I'm happy for you buddy. You seem so much happier nowadays. So what if you are living in a state of delusion? At least you're happy! Hehe ... lolz

Alvin: You're impossible Eliza ... lolz ... I'll see you tommorow. Same time. Except, I'll be sure to call if I'm running late. Okay? lol

Eliza: Okay buddy. You do that ...

(Eliza watches Alvin walk away ... and ...)

Eliza: I know you love her Alvin. I know you're satisfying your urge to shower love and affection on her under the cover of friendship ... she's enjoying the love, affection and attention ... you're enjoying every moment you spend with her ... But what about me? Should I remain silent or should I end this charade and just tell you ... tell you that I'm in love with you ... my best friend ...
....... Maybe tommorow ....

Labels:

27 Comments:

Blogger the_ego_has_landed said...

awww....

nice story..or is it a real story..ahem..like are u 'eliza';)
psssttt...u can tell me..heheh (kidding)
I kind of predicted the ending...but it was well written and actually read all those arguements on love hehehe:)

its sad..but this is exactly how life is! n if eliza tells him...shit i dunno...it ll be so screwed..he's head over heels this mischa chick!! best is to let go..and savor the frenship..or drop large hints and see how he hints back..hahah

I think this is ur story or ur frens! yeah...true? :P

9:25 AM  
Blogger the_ego_has_landed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Karen1776 said...

Great dialogue, Anup.
Eliza reveals her true feelings as they grandually 'show through' in the dialogue.
That's good because otherwise she'd just be a stick figure.
I come to the conclusion that Alvin is, indeed, in love with the absent lady.
Is that true or am I being misled?
Or is Alvin?
Karen

5:18 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@TEHL
thanks ... :)
u r partly correct ... this one was inspired by stuff that happened a while back in my life ... but I'm not telling u if I'm Alvin ... or Eliza ... or both?? (split personality?) ... lolz ...

@SK
... glad u liked it ... :)
Alvin does love Mischa ... but doesn't know if it's within the realms of friendship or something more than that ... :)

2:49 AM  
Blogger the_ego_has_landed said...

hahaha ok..cool..but see i was right...hm..i'm guessing if u were both u were alvin in one situation and eliza in other!:p

7:08 AM  
Blogger Roshomon said...

Hey nice :)!
It sometimes becomes so difficult to tell someone when you know that no matter what that person can't belong to u.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

ouch!!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle J Brohier said...

I find this conversation really sad actually... it's very typical as well. If Eliza gets all worked up like that, surely that form of concern is questionable. And though I agree with Alvin about the different types of love, in the end he did sound pretty much in his own world.

It's a shame that people cannot be so open about their feelings. But then again, I realize that if we know how each other feels it can be a scary situation.

Still, shutting oneself up is never the best solution either.

I've said this before in another friends' blog. One should really face oneself and understand who we really are and what's going on to really know what to do. Because the fear lies within you...

Nice story. ^^ Take care and God bless.

8:31 PM  
Blogger My Ramblings... said...

The poor thing...
Nice story... :)
It really is quite difficult to tell someone that u like them...but if you dont take the step you will never know...

9:27 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Ohh is it your story Anup? ^_^..oops i can say it's obvious,i think it's you haha..cool yaar:) there's nothing wrong with it,why not ?it happens sometimes..
Goodluck...

P.S.
Who is Mischa anyway?haha..just kiddin'!
One piece of advice yaar..listen to your heart:)

-kathy-

10:19 PM  
Blogger Melyong said...

I love the writing. Really good.
Love is... something that doesn't crave for the outcomes, benefits nor award.

7:42 AM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@TEHL
lolz ... u r very persistant, eh? lolz ... :)
well ... Eliza loves Alvin so much that everything Alvin does is under the scanner ... so, her interpretation of Alvin's relationship with Mischa is bound to be biased ... :)

@roshomon
that's so sad ... and yet so true ...

@DEG
... ouch is for Eliza or that the story is just a pain! ... lolz ... :)

@CT
yes, it is scary to admit that u like someone, not knowing how they'll react ... are u ready to risk a friendship for the chance of something deeper? ... this vexes so many ...
Thx and God bless ya, Buddy! :)

@My Ramblings
... yes, u'll never know ... as I said above ... risk VS reward ... :)

@Kath
lolz ... thax for ur wishes buddy ... :)
Mischa ... my muse ... :)

9:53 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Anup Im finally here :) Was sooo busy yday couldnt check any blogs at all :*(

Nice short story on love/jealousy between friends...whattttttttt this is a real story? lol okkk...out with it..who's that girl???

Keshi.

5:52 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@Elisa
... My Best Friend's wedding!!! ... ah, i loved that one ... :)
and I'll convery ur best wishes to Eliza ... :)

@BS
thanks ... and Love really does not care for rewards ... it just wants to shower affection on the special one ... :)

@Keshi
ahh ... it feels so nice to finally hear ur voice ... :)

who's Mischa? Or Eliza? lolz ... they both are my muse ... :) yes, both ... :)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

na na u told someone up there that this story is very close to reality...now ur making ME a real-life Eliza lol!


Keshi.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Melyong said...

hey anup! no. no one broke my heart, but i love a person so much but there's no possibilities. I sometimes feel it is unfair for those who really love but just can't get it, while others play around with love. hehehe.. btw, cherry tiger recommended ur blog!

9:50 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@Keshi
lolz ... yes, it is very close to reality ... but then most of the stuff in here is mostly inspired from stuff that has actually happened to me ... :)

lolz ... why would u be Eliza, when u already are Mischa for me??? lolz ... :)

@BS
that's something I've gone thru .. loving someone knowing that it won't go anywhere ... but when u love someone ... u just love ... can't help it ...

and yes, it's just so damn sad that there are so many who enter relationships without being serious ... while other love with all their heart, and never get the one they love ...

11:37 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Holi Hai...^_^
Enjoy yaar..

cheers,
-kathy-

8:02 AM  
Blogger : M : said...

:) couldnt find anything at all tocritique here! ergo no comments.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

**why would u be Eliza, when u already are Mischa for me

lolllllllllllllllz so all this time u were lying to Eliza abt Mischa - hahahah gotcha!


Keshi.

6:54 PM  
Blogger tulipspeaks said...

hey honey..i'm back..thanks for missing me *wink wink..

btwn, i read the dialog..and..hmm.. i dont know what to say.. think the same thing is happening to me.. :P

hugsss

=am000nie=

8:04 PM  
Blogger Dalicia said...

this is a long conversation! sometimes i don't know why ppl don't tell us that they're steady with a person. they must think we're stupid or that they are hiding something...

the answer is easy. the GUY is not into you. not a chance that he'll ever fall for you. just remain friends. be known that GUY will disappear once they're in love.

i came here to wish you a HAPPY HOLI. be bright and colorful :)

10:11 PM  
Blogger Dreamy Eyed Gal said...

twas for Eliza...and HAPPY HOLI!!!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Melyong said...

hmm true. Well I'm leaving it to GOD!

6:21 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@LK
Thanks a lor buddy!!! :)

@CA
:) ... will take that as a compliment ... :)

@Keshi
Of course u got me ... u got my heart, girl ... lolz ... :)

@Amu
:) ... so, are u Eliza? .. in love with a friend ??? ... that's sad ... but it's gr8 if u r Mischa, though! :)
... I missed u soooo much ... :)

@Elaine
In ur face answer as usual ,,, thanks buddy! and wish u a Happy Holi too!!! :)

@DEG
Happy Holi to u too, buddy!!! :)

@BS
That's all one can do ... right way to go about it, girl .. all da best!!! :)

3:33 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

I got ur heart...aww the most valuable of all :)

Keshi.

7:39 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

:) ... and do u have any room in ur heart for this lovefool ??? :) lolz ...

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home