Friday, July 21, 2006

What can one boast about?

One of Mom's acquaintances is dying of cancer as I write this ... About three months back she went to a doctor complaining of some pain in her legs ... and today she's on her death bed at less than 55 years of age ... the cancer had silently ravaged her body so badly that chemotheraphy just didn't have an impact ... and doctors had to admit defeat ...

She had so many hopes and dreams ... of seeing her two sons, 28 and 22 ... get married and settle down ... of them managing the flourishing family business ... and now ..... those two sons hold on to their mother ... praying for a miracle ... trying vainly to put up a brave face and hold back tears ... as their father comes to terms with the grim reality ...

I'm sure you've heard similar stories very often ... you would probably say - "Life is hard, Anup ... bad things happen all the time ... why are you spoiling the mood by talking of such things?" ...

I don't know ... I just can't ignore it ... I'm not a fool ... I accept the facts too ... but everytime I hear of such things ... I can't help but be thankful for everything that I have ... knowing that it could all be taken away in an instant ...

What can one boast about?
Money?
Power?
A high paying job?
Educational qualifications?
A high IQ?
Family?

... nothing at all ... for it all can be lost in an instant ...

Unlike what many think about me, I do not dwell on these things ... and am not a pessimist ... perhaps I am a realist? (i dont think such a word exists) ... I mean, I undertake reality-checks many times ... and seek things to be thankful for ... for I never know when it all ends ....

--------
Guys, I think many friends are really tired of my reality checks ... and this 'be thankful' thing ... I can't help being this way ... but I sure can keep my mouth shut ... I mean, I don't wanna come across as a sappy guy ... its just I have these flashes once in a while, and I go all senti ...

So this would probably be the last 'be thankful' post from me ... I'm sure you all feel thankful for that ... :)

have a gr8 weekend ya all!!!!

18 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

"__________"

11:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

... dun worry dear, i love the way u are hehe, senti Anup is part of my life now ^_^ and i want u to know that im always blessed by ur words.

..thanx for the sweet message today yaar, thats a good wake up mail in the morning hehe..luv the pics. too!

..goodluck to ur work and do take care! hows Sis? say hi for me to her! ^_^

cheers,
-kathy-

11:46 PM  
Blogger j said...

hi there, I agree with you, there's so much in life to be thankful for...and in the end, we own nothing, and the life we lived is the only thing we can offer to our Creator :)

12:05 PM  
Blogger Melyong said...

hey.. realist exist ok.. well just want to tell you that don't bother about how people think of you. And to be honest, the reason why I am reading you is beacause your posts are meaningful, reality checks are good. Sit is to keep us and remind us to be on the ground. Have a good day.

12:36 AM  
Blogger SCRIBBLEZ TO WAKEUP said...

Hey Anup...
Such instances make us feel like you do...Wht is the use of having this n this when we r in such a time etc...
But we can just be happy with what we have as what ever we have is going to go one day or the other. Either we go away from it or it goes away from us.

Always hope to have strength to carry on with people, memories and what ever we can carry!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Anup na ur not a sappy guy...it's just that ur more human than many others in this world today. Alot of ppl dun wanna talk abt ppl who r sick etc only cos they r selfish. We HAVE to talk abt such ppl as ur mum's friend cos it shows how short life can be! We have to realise and be thankful for what we have and her story is one that makes us think abt it.

**and today she's on her death bed at less than 55 years of age .

thats awful. I really hope she gets better tho. I have a friend...she's only 28..she has Cancer.

These things r what makes me more appreciative of what I have tho it may not be fancy stuff...and it's these kind of stories that make me take one day at a time and make the best of every moment.

A great inspiring post Anup..I love it.

be thankful always!
Keshi.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Why Am I said...

its sad that it takes something like this to make us realsie tht wat we have is awesome...neways nice post!and no its not too sappy:)

11:13 PM  
Blogger Renu Vyas said...

I dont know wat to say....and no ur not sappy..:)

11:25 PM  
Blogger SeePearrl said...

"One of Mom's acquaintances is dying of cancer as I write this ... About three months back she went to a doctor complaining of some pain in her legs ... and today she's on her death bed at less than 55 years of age ... the cancer had silently ravaged her body so badly that chemotheraphy just didn't have an impact ... and doctors had to admit defeat ..."

THis is the pathetic situationone can go thru ....... i have also seen soemone dying in front of me coz of cancer..who was merely 50 yr Old...That was none other than my dad 4 years ago!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Junius said...

#anup
"_____-_____"

#rose
"_____*_____"

8:43 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

HUH ????

Wat was THAT all abt endevour???

~with a condescending look~ ;)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Junius said...

#rose
i said "_____*_____"
and i mean(...???...) it ;-)

1:20 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Wat is * ??? Spell it out for me.. im not gud at filling up the blanks..

:)

..Me

3:59 AM  
Blogger Scoot said...

:( life's like tat too

12:19 PM  
Blogger Junius said...

#rose,
star hi hi hi hi...
i am writing same language u wrote ;-)
ya...and see...anup understood naa

11:10 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Grrrrrrrrrrr...

P.S: - I think we are turning Anup's comment box into a chatting zone..

:D

..Me

10:26 PM  
Blogger anup.777 said...

@Rose and Endevourme
I have no idea what that was all about ... but it was very interesting ... :)

@Kathy
thank u ... u r such a dear! .. :)

@Jairam
thanks! ... and welcome 2 my world ... :)

@Bubbly Soda
thanks a lot 4 de encourgaement, buddy! :) ... BTW ur recent poems have been super cool!!!

@Scribblez
Hmmm ... nice point of view ... very true ...

@Keshi
Unfortunately, the lady died last week ...
... tell me one thing ... how is ur friend? Hope she gets better soon ...

@Why am I
:) thanks that it wasn't 'too' sappy ... :)

@Renu
hey buddy! ... thank u :)

@White Forest
I'm so sorry for your loss, dear ... I'm sorry if the post brought back unpleasant memories ...

@Maya
yes ... I'm sure that as a doc, u've seen this quite often ... it must be hard ... :(

10:50 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

wutttttttttttt! Im so sorry Anup!

Huggggggggggz!
Keshi.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home