Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Is it all worth it?

If there's one thing consistent in this blog, it's the questions posed by me.... a seemingly unending stream of questions posed by a fertile imagination? (i' m at it again? :) .... I give myself way too much credit ;)

Anyway, on to my question for today-

We are all so preoccupied with deadlines and "stuff" that fills our lives, that we hardly ever sit down to actually think about where we are in life and where we are apparently headed.... But, one of the perks of commuting long distances is that one actually gets so bored with the same ol' scenery (read endless traffic) that one actually starts "thinking". Perhaps it's the rejuvenating emissions inhaled on my daily voyage that have inspired many articles posted here :)

Obviously in such an inspiring environment, you can't expect too many cheerful thoughts to come my way.... so I actually thought... "is it all worth it?" and I'm not talking of the commute! I'm more into the grand scheme of things.... As far as I can see, I don't see man ever being satisfied. As soon as one want is satisifed, it gets replaced by another more complelling need (reminds u of economics class?). You can then imagine life as a mountaineer who scales one peak, then sees another peak and scales that, then another and in the end.... dies... Sure, flags bearing his individual conquests litter the landscape.... but, is that all u are here for? Just to litter the land and add to the pollution? :)

I don't have any answers. I only have questions. If you are already depressed, I've done my bit and got some other sentimental fool to join me in my CO2 induced misery..... and if you are laughing at this thought, I've succeded in getting someone to laugh, which is no small feat in an otherwise generally dull and humorless world! Either way I win! :)

-------
I believe in a greater purpose. I believe in destiny. I believe that we are all here for a purpose assigned by God. But, most importantly, I believe that life on this earth is not the end. It's just the beginning. I'm not going into the theological discussion on eternal life here, but surely there is more at stake here than meets the eye. So, I try not to lose focus. That the motto "Eat drink and be merry, for tommorow we die" is just plain selfish, and such a life would be just a collosal waste of God's time and resources. So, I try to give back something to the world everyday. God knows I've got a heck of a lot of issues. But, he also knows that I try harder every day. A kind word here, a lil' joke there, is nothing but my attempt to make the world a slightly better place to live in. I hope to live on through the memories of the people, in whose life I've tried to infuse some fun, some comfort, some companionship.... After all, who doesn't want to live forever?

Don't you just love questions?

Here's an answer to a potential question from my favorite kind of people - the pessimists - "you only gripe because you still have a long way to go and are probably just a coward trying to shirk the efforts required to succeed in life. "

I say, "I'm a dreamer. Accepted. But, I'm a practical dreamer. I don't say that we shouldn't scale peaks. We must! God expects us to do the best with the resources He has provided us with. But, we must remember to think of others too and make the world a lil' bit better daily. Otherwise, in this rat race, in a hurry to succeed, we may choose to trample other people and walk all over their hopes/dreams/lives. In such cases, all the success in the world will not give peace of mind... not on this earth ..... so what about eternity? ........ that's what I believe anyway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home